Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Start of Something New

I'm always for starting new projects. I just never seem to finish them because of my short attention span.

But, for several days I've been seriously thinking of "going green" in household cleaners. I'm not doing it to save the world. I'm doing it because I have over a dozen different bottles of cleaners in the house. It makes remembering what I need to buy hard to keep track of and it can get expensive.

So, for the last few days I've been researching non-toxic and "green" cleaning products. I pulled out several that I want to try. In the meantime, I'll keep my store bought stuff to finish it up (so as not to waste money) and just in case the green ones don't do the job.

It's always best to take baby steps so I started with just that. Lately, my dishwasher hasn't been cleaning the dishes as well as I would like. And there tends to be a greasy feel to the dishes even when there wasn't anything greasy in the dishwasher.

The proposed solution? Vinegar. Yup, plain white household vinegar. It's a disinfectant and degreaser. So, I gave it a try. I poured about a cup of white vinegar in the bottom of my dishwasher (with no dishes in it) and ran it.

The next load of dishes I had included a greasy pan so I thought this would tell me whether or not the vinegar worked. Not only did the dishes come out completely clean, there was NO greasy feel to them.

The BBC show "How Clean Is Your House?" suggests doing the "vinegar treatment" on your dishwasher once a month. Apparently the trap at the bottom collects bacteria and grease and the vinegar disolves it.

Ok, one experiment down and it was successful!

2 comments:

MzHartz said...

Why have I never thought of trying that? Sometimes we get the "dishwasher dirt" stuck to our dishes. I'm going to run it with vinegar next time and see what happens. Do you pour it in the bottom or in the cup where you normally put the detergent?

Arlene said...

I don't know. I never thought of it either. I just happened to see it on the show and thought I would give it a try.

I just pour it directly into the bottom of the dishwasher. A cup of vinegar really wouldn't fit into the soap dispenser . . . and pouring it directly into the dishwasher doesn't hurt it.

I know it feels weird to do it that way, but it works.